"I love your books and it has been such a blessing for me in
ways I cannot even articulate! Not long after I became a
mother for the first time, I was drawn to this book while
browsing through a Catholic gift shop and it seemed to call
my name. From the moment I opened the cover, I have
relished every page. In fact, I leave the book in my car so if
I ever have a few extra moments to myself while I am out
running errands or early for an appointment, I’ll randomly
open up a chapter and enjoy a refresher! I always feel like
Dorothy is speaking directly to me- sharing the right story
just for whatever I am experiencing at that moment in my
life. If every Catholic mother read this book, there would be
a radical shift in the way the "modern woman" views
motherhood and family life. Being a mother is not just one
of many hats we women wear in our busy lives. Being a
mother is the very essence of who we are and who we are
called to be and what we have been created for. Motherhood
is not a job, it is a vocation! Dorothy reminds us that we are
the most influential people in our children’s lives and it is
not our right, but our privilege to care for them , to nurture
them, and to raise them as sons and daughters of God.
. Dorothy does not mince her words yet eloquently and
poignantly shares stories, prayers, and letters that have
made me laugh and cry. God bless you, Dorothy, for your
courage, your tenacity, and for sharing your God-given gifts
and talents with us. You are an inspiration.
Motherhood Matters…. Amen!"
Elisa Rocillo
________________________________________________________
"Truly, Dorothy, you have been an inspiration to me.
From the first time I saw that first episode of Mothering
on the S&L website, I was convinced that mothers
everywhere could hugely benefit from your apostolate,
and still am convinced, more than ever.
I finally got around to actually reading your book over
the holidays, and boy, oh, boy am I glad I've been
promoting it. I couldn't put it down. I was drawn into
your wonderful world and didn't want to leave when
I finished the book. You really are a "Gutsy, Catholic Mom"
by starting off in the book with the controversial topic
of moms staying home with their children!
I loved everything you wrote on that subject and
whole-heartedly agree with it all, though I confess,
I lack the courage to speak up to my moms too much
about that.That is why I'm so glad that they attended
our mom's tea at Holy Redeemer and heard you speak
and bought your book.
You are so brave Dorothy, and VERY articulate
and charitable in sharing your convictions.
You fill a huge void in our Catholic Church in Canada
and we are so very blessed to have you - a "lone voice in the
wilderness" - championing Holy Motherhood!
Looking forward to what you've got in store
for us in the new year! With much love and many prayers."
Cathy
_______________________________________________________
"Your book kept me up to 3am the other night...
As I read it, I wondered,
'Where has she been all my life?
Dorothy is my long lost sister?!!!!
I almost woke up the entire house shouting, 'Yes !!!!"
Leticia Velasquez
Media Critic
Author, A Special Mother is Born
_________________________________________
"I started to read “Motherhood Matters” by Dorothy Pilarski,
and I couldn’t put this amazing book down.
I could so relate to Dorothy’s experiences and reflections.
I wish I had had the opportunity
to read this book twenty years ago. It was just so refreshing
to hear a mother’s voice reflecting and celebrating
that children are our gifts from God, to be treasured and
nurtured in faith with unconditional love. I purchased
four more copies of the book to share with friends,
my niece, and my future daughter-in-law.
This book is a ten-out-of-ten, a must read for all mothers!"
Deirdre Furlong, Mississauga, Ontario
_____________________________________________________________
"Motherhood Matters is a must read!!! You will love
and appreciate it! It is an INCREDIBLE book!
Dorothy Pilarski, you rock....
Thank you for sharing your God inspired wisdom!"
Thank you for sharing your God inspired wisdom!"
Mary Finn Kent,
Mom, Pacific DVD Duplication,
Business Owner, Lahaina, Hawaii
_________________________________________________
"I love this book! This book is not just for mothers,
_________________________________________________
"I love this book! This book is not just for mothers,
but for all women. I love how she talks so candidly
about her everyday life while calling out the cultural
norms and challenges them with her witty insights.
I have to say it is soooooooooo refreshing. You can
tell she has gone down deep into her heart and
has taken the courage to talk about the topics
in her book. I just love it. It has given me a lot
to think about. Thank you Dorothy!"
Catharine Bone,
Elementary School Teacher,
Mississauga
_________________________________________________
"I just finished reading the book,
_________________________________________________
"I just finished reading the book,
Motherhood Matters by, Dorothy Pilarski,
all I can say it WOW! I am so glad she wrote
this book for us Catholic moms! I LOVE
all the TRUTH and GOODNESS that
pours out of it. I was very touched
by how she shared so many personal
experiences and I could relate so well
to them. I also LOVED how it offers
practical way to get closer to God
and how to bring our children closer to HIM.
Check it out!
It would make a great
It would make a great
Christmas gift for mom on your list."
Carolina Soledad, Stay at Home Mom, Brampton
_________________________________________________
_________________________________________________
"I am loving the book...I am sneaking
in pages every night... I just finished
the story about the Bishop from the
Philippines... loved that!
This is a clarion call to moms..
Dorothy, you've written a very important work.
The deeper I get into the book, the more
I want to shout it from the rooftops.
What we do is not just important--
What we do is not just important--
it shapes the very world.
It gives moms not just a pat on the back..
it is telling them.."What you do--
can and will change the face of this planet..
so dig in and glory in your God-given role!!!
And this book needs to be in every mommy's
hands around this country.
Time for a Momolution!!
Occupy HOME!!
Parishes should buy this to hand
out to their moms...
You have issued a clarion call
for motherhood...this isn't just a
tome with sweet little stories..
This is a challenge for truth...
Dorothy, I am seeing so many moms
out to their moms...
You have issued a clarion call
for motherhood...this isn't just a
tome with sweet little stories..
This is a challenge for truth...
Dorothy, I am seeing so many moms
who have just abdicated their God-given roles,
working outside or inside the home...
and their children are crying.
and their children are crying.
crying to be heard.
You are putting into their hands
the tools they need to tell their
hubbies, their parents, their bosses...
the tools they need to tell their
hubbies, their parents, their bosses...
What I do as a Mom is THE most job
on the planet, and in fact, it isn't just
a job...it is MY VOCATION.
Most moms I know work either
outside or inside the home.
When I quit to stay home
(but still practiced law), a book like this
would have given me the boost
I needed to not feel so apologetic
all the time about not having a 'real'
job anymore.
Dorothy..I would happily assist you--
as you and the Holy Spirit have done
something very important together
to fight back the tide of evil.
Strong and holy moms will change the world."
Marcella Ketelhut, Catholic mom,
lawyer, business owner,
Los Robles Hills Winery,
Puerta del Cielo Vineyards, California
_________________________________________________
"I think I should've been finished reading your book,
if I didn't keep coming back to "favourite" parts! The ones
I find I go back to when I just want a "short read" before
turning in are *Mothering Our Mothers* and
_________________________________________________
"I think I should've been finished reading your book,
if I didn't keep coming back to "favourite" parts! The ones
I find I go back to when I just want a "short read" before
turning in are *Mothering Our Mothers* and
*Millionaire's Family* And I might be slightly biased
(being a Filipino), but I love your story about Bishop Yiet.
Your book is on my night stand,
a quick reach whenever I need inspiration, encouragement,
or an instant pick-me-up! I even found my husband,
Conrad, sneaking a read one time."
Cristy Rocillo,
a quick reach whenever I need inspiration, encouragement,
or an instant pick-me-up! I even found my husband,
Conrad, sneaking a read one time."
Cristy Rocillo,
mother of six girls, with another baby on the way!
=================================================
"I just finished reading your book, and I loved it!
It is very affirming as a Catholic stay at home mother,
to hear another mother say, "You are right where you
are supposed to be!" Opposed to, "When are you
going back to work?" and "Why aren't your kids in
daycare learning how to socialize, blah, blah, blah..."
From the moment my first child was born
something in me forever changed, and I knew,
that I had to be the one to raise her...
I couldn't give up that awesome joy and
responsibility to someone else.
It took me by surprise and my husband too,
it wasn't an easy decision, but we made it work,
we both came to the decision that
it was the best thing we could do for our children."
Lexi Johnson, mother of three children
In a world where the dream of being a mother is
just not good enough, you honor the dream.
You don't allow other people to define who you are as a woman.
I wonder how it would be to have a mother like you,
someone whose whole life revolves around children and home
(though you certainly are busy), an experience that not
very many children enjoy these days. The conversation
in which you commit your life to your children--to speak
and to hear those words must have a profound effect
on you and must also return to you in the form of a life-long bond.
I like that you point out that by substituting materialism for
motherhood, we rob ourselves of the way to enhance our
own humanity, which is illustrated so clearly in the analogy
about heart disease: in the course of breaking our children's hearts,
we break our own as well. There's much gold to be mined
in your words. You should be proud to have written so movingly.
Dorothy Funkhouser,
St. MIchael's Church, Annandale, Virginia
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorothy offers Catholic mothers encouragement
and support to follow their precious vocation.
Her refreshing affirmation about the beauty, power,
and importance of motherhood is much needed today.
The author seems to know from personal experience
how to directly address a Catholic mom’s doubts
and insecurity. Living in a society that often dismisses,
denigrates, or ridicules both motherhood and Catholic
values means that often a Catholic mom is on the
front lines of evangelization—of her own family, and of society.
In a very grounded way, Pilarski expresses the
dignity of the mother’s calling, and offers creative
responses to the challenges.
affirmation for all mothers who have perhaps wondered
if having a family, staying home with children,
sacrificing professional and financial advancements,
have really been worth it. Mothers can be
confident in all their decisions provided they rely on
the grace of God guided by the faith passed
to them by their mothers. I found this book to be a very
honest reflection on motherhood and life by an
intelligent and loving woman."
Krystyna Zasowski, Etobicoke, Ontario
In a world where the dream of being a mother is
just not good enough, you honor the dream.
You don't allow other people to define who you are as a woman.
I wonder how it would be to have a mother like you,
someone whose whole life revolves around children and home
(though you certainly are busy), an experience that not
very many children enjoy these days. The conversation
in which you commit your life to your children--to speak
and to hear those words must have a profound effect
on you and must also return to you in the form of a life-long bond.
I like that you point out that by substituting materialism for
motherhood, we rob ourselves of the way to enhance our
own humanity, which is illustrated so clearly in the analogy
about heart disease: in the course of breaking our children's hearts,
we break our own as well. There's much gold to be mined
in your words. You should be proud to have written so movingly.
Dorothy Funkhouser,
St. MIchael's Church, Annandale, Virginia
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorothy offers Catholic mothers encouragement
and support to follow their precious vocation.
Her refreshing affirmation about the beauty, power,
and importance of motherhood is much needed today.
The author seems to know from personal experience
how to directly address a Catholic mom’s doubts
and insecurity. Living in a society that often dismisses,
denigrates, or ridicules both motherhood and Catholic
values means that often a Catholic mom is on the
front lines of evangelization—of her own family, and of society.
In a very grounded way, Pilarski expresses the
dignity of the mother’s calling, and offers creative
responses to the challenges.
In style, Pilarski is informal and unpretentious.
Each chapter is an interesting mix of stories, essays,
prayers, and tips. The tips are particularly original and
practical, ranging from “how to raise your kids Catholic,”
to “ways to make an active attempt to grow closer to God.”
The prayers and poems are beautiful and from the heart...."
Each chapter is an interesting mix of stories, essays,
prayers, and tips. The tips are particularly original and
practical, ranging from “how to raise your kids Catholic,”
to “ways to make an active attempt to grow closer to God.”
The prayers and poems are beautiful and from the heart...."
Sr. Marie Paul Curley, fsp
"I've just finished reading this book and it is a truly strongaffirmation for all mothers who have perhaps wondered
if having a family, staying home with children,
sacrificing professional and financial advancements,
have really been worth it. Mothers can be
confident in all their decisions provided they rely on
the grace of God guided by the faith passed
to them by their mothers. I found this book to be a very
honest reflection on motherhood and life by an
intelligent and loving woman."
Krystyna Zasowski, Etobicoke, Ontario

2 comments:
Motherhood Matters is a most enlightening and inspiring book that celebrates the vocation of motherhood. Dorothy’s candid insights, thought-provoking questions, and practical suggestions encourage us, as Catholic mothers, to live authentic, vibrant, spiritual lives as we ‘mother’ the precious gift of our children and pass on the Catholic faith. In this book, Dorothy Pilarski shares wisdom that comes from a loving and faith-filled mother’s heart. Thank you, Dorothy!
N.S.
Mississauga, Ontario
So, I am not the only mom who feels validated and supported by "Motherhood Matters"!
Post a Comment