I was talking to my mom yesterday and since she is quite frail, and her voice weak, I have found myself listening to her a little more carefully.
The strong, confident comanding voice is weakening, but on another level it has grown stronger.
She is spending much of her time praying. And, I know she will continue to evangelize until her very last breath. She has ALWAYS talked about matters of Faith to my sister and I, ever since I can remember!
That is just my mom.
I have been blessed with a mother of incredible Faith. She is a survivor of World War 11 -- She was 13 years old when her home was bombed in Warsaw, Poland.
Yesterday, as always, she spoke to me about the importance of morning prayers. I am a wife and mother and my own mother is still reminding me of the importance of devoting time to prayer first thing in the morning. I have very vivid memories growing up, with her bellowing voice,
"Did you say your morning prayers?"
Just like any kid, sometimes I said them, sometimes I didn't, most times I looked at the crucifix above my bed and did the sign of the cross.
I have very vivid memories of seeing both of my parents, at different times, getting on their knees and saying their morning prayers, leaning against their beds, first thing when they got up. Since my dad and often my mom, left the house at the crack of dawn to got to work, I knew they were rushed, but they never lacked the time to say their morning prayers.
Morning prayers shower us with graces first thing. Those prayers bring us into His presence and focus us on His Will.
Yesterday, February 17, 2013, my 86 year old mom was reminding me of the importance of saying your prayers before you leave your bedroom.
"Once you leave your bedroom, you are subject to distraction, the coffee maker, demands of your kids, light housekeeping, tidying, all pulls us away from the VERY FIRST THING we ought to be doing, saying our morning prayers!"
There was a time, that I neglected morning prayers. I remember a good speaker, talking about making a committment during Lent. He suggested making a small committment, but sticking to it. Something like saying your morning prayers!
Since then, it's been quite the journey, sometimes I have prayed too long first thing in the morning, other times I prayed kneeling with my toddlers before a crucifix we have hanging in our kitchen, now that they are teenagers, I find myself saying three short prayers in the car on the way to school.
At this point in my life, I now find myself saying my morning prayers twice! Once as soon as I get up, in my room. I love just saying the words, "Thank you Jesus, or Help me Jesus" to the beat of my heart. Don't ask me why, but for some crazy reason, I can hear my heart beat most times of the day!
But, it is my prayer, that I always remain a mother, who asks,
"Have you said your morning prayers?"
I found these quotes. I just had to share.
"Above all, it is necessary to ask of God every morning the gift of perseverance, and to beg of the Blessed Virgin to obtain it for you, and particularly in the time of temptation, by invoking the name of Jesus and Mary as long as the temptation lasts. Happy the man who will continue to act in this manner, and shall be found so doing when Jesus Christ shall come to judge him. ‘Blessed is that servant, whom, when his Lord shall come, he shall find so doing’ (Matt. 24:46)."
— St. Alphonsus De Liguori
In order to succeed in it (prayer), it should be done when we first awaken, when our whole being
is calm and recollected. We need to make our meditation before anything else.
- Saint Peter Julian Eymard (1811-1868)



3 comments:
Thank you for the sweet reminder. Your mother is such a treasure! I love the picture of the three of you such beautiful souls! My teacher looks exactly the same way I remember her in grade 8, please send her my love, another remarkable lady!
You have a very wise mother!
When HE says to your Mother, "Well done, my Good and Faithful Servant," HE will be remembering her words, "Did you say your morning prayers?" AND your Dear Mother, will tell HIM about you today. HE will smile, because HE always sees you every morning, saying your morning prayers.
Post a Comment