She always sends me amazing stuff related to motherhood. She is the one of the moms who helped me get grounded in the convictions of my heart when I had my first child almost 20 years ago. At that time, I was feeling very alone with the seeds that were planted in my soul about the vocation of motherhood.
Twenty years ago, Barbara handed me a book that helped me tremendously.Today she sent me a simple Utube video that stopped me in my tracks and had me claim those very same convictions again, twenty years later...
Amidst a driven career mindset which I had bought hook line and sinker, it was difficult, if not impossible at times to find influences that reminded me that,
The office of motherhood is sacred.
I want to share both those convictions and the video with you today, but before I do, I would like to give you a little background.
BACKGROUND
Amid conflcts between family and career Garth Brooks retired in 2001 to raise his daughters. He promised that when the youngest daughter, Allie, graduated from high school, he would bake a come back. He did.
That's what I call true freedom and true commitment. Why?
He knows he has gifts and talents that have been entrusted to him by God. It appears he has used those talents in submission to a higher call. He is not a slave to his talents. The cynic in me is tempting to discount his decision, saying,
"Oh, it's easy for him to leave his career to raise his daughters, he's rich. Who wouldn't do that, in his shoes?"
But when I stop to think about it, there are hundreds of spectacularly successful parents who don't bat an eye. There are thousands that march to the drum of greed.
Garth has done something truly remarkable with his new album,
"Man Against Machine."
He has included a song called "Mom" which is a conversation between an unborn child and God. The child is about to embark on a mission to earth to meet someone...
The lyrics start...
A little baby told God,
Hey I'm kinda scared, don't really know if
I wanna go down there,
Because from here it looks like a little blue ball
But that's a great big place and I'm so small.
Hey I'm kinda scared, don't really know if
I wanna go down there,
Because from here it looks like a little blue ball
But that's a great big place and I'm so small.
Why can't I just stay here with you?
Did I make you mad, don't you want me, too?'
And God said, 'Oh child, of course I do,
But there's somebody special that's waiting for you.
Did I make you mad, don't you want me, too?'
And God said, 'Oh child, of course I do,
But there's somebody special that's waiting for you.
I urge you to listen carefully to the entire song, which, by the way, will make you cry...
It is very clear that
Garth Brooks
understands
the vocation of motherhood
Garth Brooks
understands
the vocation of motherhood
It is my prayer, that this song, which will undoubtly be heard my millions of mothers all over the world, will call forth the beauty and truth of the essence of motherhood.
It is my hope, that mothers everywhere will listen to this song and measure it against what they do with their actions.
Trusting the whispers of your heart, the promptings of Our Lady.. is what brings true happiness.
Be sure to get a box of Kleenex. You will need it as you listen.
I would love to hear what you think?
What lessons you have learned?
How do you try to live out the sacredness of your role as a mother?


5 comments:
God found in Garth,some would say, His messenger to sing,what this mixed up world needs to hear today. Jesus's mom was chosen too,to bring us all a little closer to her Son who ,was born & died, for me and you.
God bless you Garth Brooks!
Garth,what a blessing you are to your family...Our sweet Jesus and His Mother are smiling down on you.
Outstanding! Thank you.
Garth has been my favorite for 20 years! I knew this story and heard the song "Mom" over the weekend. Absolutely stand-up guy, and beautiful song. I can't wait to see him in concert again! Forever a Garth fan!!!
Post a Comment