Today at the hockey arena, I was
chatting with one of the moms.
Seemingly out of the blue, she
announced that she hasn't baptized her children.
I had a strong reaction. Just
to make sure I had heard her correctly I asked,
"Did you say you haven't baptized your children?"
She went on a little bit of a rant about NOT being religious, but being spiritual. She was adamantly against organized religion.
"Did you say you haven't baptized your children?"
She went on a little bit of a rant about NOT being religious, but being spiritual. She was adamantly against organized religion.
I said
something along the lines of,
"Oh, I am VERY religious! Isn't it funny how two people can have such a polarized view of their Catholic Faith? Can you imagine unorganized traffic?"
Several moms laughed awkwardly. I am not sure was possessed me to say THAT. I continued,
"I see my Catholic Faith as a precious GIFT I can't imagine journeying through life without it. And yet you, would take it or leave it. I wonder how that happens. I guess Faith really is a GIFT."
She then went on how she has made an informed decision. She said she, "knows" the Catholic faith -- and how some of the most self righteous hypocritical people she knew were practicing Catholics.
I then said,
"Oh, I am VERY religious! Isn't it funny how two people can have such a polarized view of their Catholic Faith? Can you imagine unorganized traffic?"
Several moms laughed awkwardly. I am not sure was possessed me to say THAT. I continued,
"I see my Catholic Faith as a precious GIFT I can't imagine journeying through life without it. And yet you, would take it or leave it. I wonder how that happens. I guess Faith really is a GIFT."
She then went on how she has made an informed decision. She said she, "knows" the Catholic faith -- and how some of the most self righteous hypocritical people she knew were practicing Catholics.
I then said,
"Someone
like YOU who IS NOT hypocritical, shouldn't be LEAVING the Catholic faith -- WE
NEED people like YOU, to be a SHINING example!"
We talked about a whole bunch of other
things. A murder in her extended family and peoples reaction to it -- a death
of a young girl. I then said,
"Do you mind me asking WHY you left the Catholic faith?" She went on and on. Me again, "Do you think your mom was upset about you leaving the Catholic Faith?"
She talked for a long time. I told her that I had lukewarm moments in my Catholic journey too, until I met my husband who took my to Catholic conferences and I met these incredible academic devout minds. And of course there were books I read by CS Lewis, pieces by Chesterton.
It came to me that for me, conversations like this were a MUST during this Year of Faith. Maybe one a day? Sometimes I pray the rosary while my son plays hockey. Today I prayed it more than three times for different intentions. This mom was prayed for for sure and the repose of the soul of her mom who passed away......
"Do you mind me asking WHY you left the Catholic faith?" She went on and on. Me again, "Do you think your mom was upset about you leaving the Catholic Faith?"
She talked for a long time. I told her that I had lukewarm moments in my Catholic journey too, until I met my husband who took my to Catholic conferences and I met these incredible academic devout minds. And of course there were books I read by CS Lewis, pieces by Chesterton.
It came to me that for me, conversations like this were a MUST during this Year of Faith. Maybe one a day? Sometimes I pray the rosary while my son plays hockey. Today I prayed it more than three times for different intentions. This mom was prayed for for sure and the repose of the soul of her mom who passed away......
Can you say a Hail Mary for them too?
Here is an extremely encouraging video (about 7 minutes) on how to share Jesus with your friends! Please watch it -- It really is worth it!
Here is an extremely encouraging video (about 7 minutes) on how to share Jesus with your friends! Please watch it -- It really is worth it!

1 comment:
I used that same line of reasoning with a fallen away Catholic once - "Do your parents know and how do they feel about it?" I also invoked the commandment to honor one's parents and how is going against one's upbringing honoring?
This was all before I learned that my own mother hasn't been to church in years!
At those parents' preparation meetings for our children's sacraments, the pastor cautions us not to pursuit these celebrations only for the grandparents' joy. My conscience is clear that I'm not.
Post a Comment