Translate

Friday, June 27, 2014

Motherly Musing - How to help your children pray

 


Today being the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart, I am called to send a message to mothers, that will help them help their children.


Growing up with two devout parents, I have very vivid memories of them both praying first thing in the morning. They actually got out of bed first thing in the morning and got on their knees. It was not unusual for my mother to ask me if I had prayed.

As a young child, I was quite conflicted about prayer, until something quite significant happened. While I trusted that Jesus existed and  believed what my mother had told me about His true presence in the Eucharist, it was very difficult for me to pray to Jesus when I wasn't in church. Why? Because I couldn't SEE him. As a young child, I remember searching for Jesus, so that I could pray to him, but as a young child, it felt like I was chasing air (if you know what I mean).  

But then something happened that changed my little prayer life, completely!

When I was NINE years old, just before my First Holy Communion, I was hospitalized (long story). An Oblate priest, Father Rozmyslowski, who was a dear family friend, visited me in the hospital bearing gifts. He included a card with this image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on it. He had written a BEAUTIFUL reflection written especially for me, which contained wisdom that was beyond my years. It was written in Polish and was called, Dorotka w Szpitalu, which translates into Dorothy in the Hospital.

While the photos are fading, the memories and fruits of his gift are very much alive in my life today.




The beauty in his personal reflection to me transcends the barrier of time, it was written in 1969 (do the math LOL) and as I read it today, I am blessed again and again.

Just as soon as I read the poem, he insisted on taking it back from me, because you see, he wanted to have it framed, so my mom would hang it up somewhere in our home.

Well, in my mom's wisdom, or somehow, the gift from the priest of Sacred Heart of Jesus, got hung up right above my bed.

Guess what happened?  I started to get on my knees every morning and praying to Jesus. The image, which was also a precious gift, helped me to focus on Him. And then those eyes, the eyes of Jesus followed me everywhere in my room!

Now, before you know it, when I had an argument with one of my parents or siblings, or things got rough at school, I would rush off to my room, sit on my bed and TALK to Jesus my friend!

So, today, on this beautiful Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, I call out to ALL mothers!

 Go out a get a little picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and right a special note to your child, have it framed -- talk to your little ones about Jesus, their BEST friend who will always be there for them.  

I am so grateful for my mother who did such a good job in befriending priests and welcoming them into our family life. It was MY mother's intercession, that on so many occasions saved me, right until her dying day. What a gift it is to have a holy mother....   one who struggles with her entire being to bring her kids to Christ.

PS. If you want to read more about how the religious have blessed my life CLICK HERE

What is the Sacred Heart of Jesus anyway? CLICK HERE 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!
Listen at ANY time!