Soon, it will be the second year of my mom's passing.
There has not been a single day that I haven't thought of her...
Just yesterday, I was rummaging through some paperwork.
I stumbled upon a card with her writing in it.
Mama's penmanship was distinctly beautiful.
She took great care in writing hand written notes with love and care. She did it regularly, especially in her later years.
In fact Mama insisted everything be done
with love, including, writing!
Even in her last days, she wrote my husband and I an anniversary card and reprimanded my older sister for only putting $50.00 in it.
"You can't get a good dinner for $50.00!
You should have put more in that envelope!
What kind of meal are they going to get for $50.00?
I want them to really celebrate."
You see, my mom was dying of cancer, she passed away on April 12th and our anniversary is on April 9th. She needed my sister to get the card and put the money in it.
In her last days, my mom was still thinking of others.
God, I love her, God I miss her.... I hope she can feel my love in heaven, and the deep sorrow I have for not knowing throughout her life on earth, exactly how blessed I was to have a Mystical Mama like her.
A Mama, who loved the Catholic Faith and spent her life tirelessly being a preacher, tho many people wouldn't listen.
Seems like everyday, I am reminded of a mystical lesson or eternal truth - taught to me by my Mama.
When I was very little, about seven years old, I was invited to welcome a visiting bishop to our parish at St. Stanislaus Church in Toronto. I was commissioned, along with another girl, to wear our traditional Polish folk costumes and represent the youth of our parish, presenting a decorated bouquet of flowers (as a symbol of life, gratitude and beauty) to the bishop.
My mom, with exuberant instruction, whispering with confidence, something I innately trusted and knew to be a supernatural true:
"After you present the flowers to the bishop, kiss the bishops ring! It is a privilege, an honour, not many people know this, but there are many blessings associated with doing that. It is a rare opportunity! Do not miss it!"
As a young child of only about 6 or 7, it took every ounce of courage to do what my mother said. But after I kissed it, I was filled with holy consolations, that no other experience could replace it.
Fast forward many, many, many years. This year, the Dynamic Women of Faith conference, I host - along with my Mother's Group, was privileged to have Cardinal Thomas Collins speak at it.
And my brain began to think.
Maybe we should be welcoming the Cardinal with several girls in traditional Polish costumes? Wouldn't that be beautiful? It didn't take long for my heart to decide, that is exactly what we should do! Through much effort and sacrifice Bozena Zambrowicz, a dear friend - helped make exactly that happen!
I got to thinking about the life long habit my mom instilled in me, of venerating the bishops ring. Just now - I questioned it.
Is it really a tradition? Is it something that we should all be doing? so like anyone else, in this day and age, I Googled it. Low and behold, while I shouldn't be surprised, I learned my Mama was right AGAIN. Her simple lessons, as I am learning, were actually profound truths. As always, my Mama, knew how to make a divine truth, simple and beautiful to a young child. I was delighted to read the history of venerating the bishops ring on Wikepedia CLICK HERE.
So, this year, at the conference, I did exactly as my Mama taught me - I venerated the ring. And now, I am questioning,
"Have I taught my own children this beautiful tradition?"
I didn't kiss it - I had bright red lipstick on. I hope my Mama in heaven can see, that her lessons live on in her daughter, who still loves her so very much!
In writing this post, it is my prayer to inspire just one other Mama to pass on the tradition of venerating the bishop's ring!
Become a Mystical Mama, I say - there is nothing quite like it!
PS. His Eminence Cardinal Thomas Collins, Archbishop of Toronto, got a standing ovation after his talk, Mary, the Mother of God, Our Model for Becoming a Dynamic Women of Faith. To read more about the conference, please CLICK HERE
Expect the Unexpected. Exploring what it means to be a gutsy catholic, writer, entrepreneur, mom and wife. Discovering God's Will one day at a time! Invoking the Holy Spirit,every step of the way....







No comments:
Post a Comment