My husband and I have been married for sixteen years. We come from completely different cultural backgrounds. One thing we have struggled with over the years is the “merging” of traditions.
How do you celebrate a birthday? My idea is quite simple. You begin the day with breakfast in bed, served on the best china and crystal. Include lots of balloons and flowers, little surprises throughout the day. A huge supper with lots of family and friends, a life-time of thoughtful gifts and an exquisite birthday cake from finest bakery in town, Sweet Gallery (and only Sweet Gallery). Telegrams from foreign countries are a welcomed touch. And of course ending the evening with a romantic chat along with a whole lot of “that.”
My poor husband! Before we met, birthdays were just another day, with a gift or possibly a phone call thrown in. You can imagine my shock and his reaction to it.
And then there is Christmas, Mother’s Day, Easter, Labour Day, and no… I won’t bore you with the details.
Once we started a new tradition… one that is uniquely our own and I relish in it. It’s so exciting and so much fun. It’s a Thanksgiving tradition. As we’re driving up to Lindsay to have Thanksgiving dinner with John’s dad and his brothers and sisters, we make up a list of 101 things we’re grateful for, things specific to the past year.
John drives, I write:
--“I am grateful for our children. What are you grateful for?”
--“I am grateful for my lovely, beautiful wife. What are you grateful for?”
--“I am grateful for my patient and supportive husband. What are you grateful for?”
--“I am grateful for our minivan making it through another year. What are you grateful for?”
We alternate back and forth. Searching our hearts for all that deserves a deliberate THANKS.
…..our health care system.
…..24 hour grocery stores like Dominion. They are great for diapers and stuff like that.
…..telephones. Can you imagine a life without them?
…..the motivation to start swimming.
…..my new computer
…..hot milk
…..Dr.Girschek, our daughter's opthamologist
…..our children’s health
…...Baskin and Robbins ice-cream
......Tim Horton's Chili
.......Naomi Rhode and her inspiring ways!
…..conferences at St. Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio
…..my surprise birthday party
…..our Catholic Church
…..Father Casper’s home made strawberry jam
…..the Family Enrichment Parenting Course
…..food and shelter
…..air conditioning
…..credit cards
…..the zoo
…..drive thru donut shops and hamburger joints
…..Vera’s visit from Hawaii
…..Maja’s babysitting stint with Monica, while Michael was being born
…..Canada
…..freedom
…..our brass bed
…..Margaret and Peter’s amazing suppers
…..my mom and all of her help and generosity
…..our clients: Corel Draw, Scholarship Consultants of North America, Sheraton Hotels, HRDC
…..all of the visitors, cards and gifts we got for Michael
…..our refresher prenatal class at St. Joseph’s Health Centre
…..my trip to Ireland, Scotland and England
…..my Mother’s Group and my good friends that come to it!
…..the production Ragtime
…..the internet
…..the sunny weather today
…..the camcorder, our camera
…..Donny Osmond
This particular year we got up to 104. As the kids have joined in, the tradition has become even more delightful and down right fun. You should hear some of the things that they have been grateful for over the years; stop signs, Happy Meals, windows, markers, trees, the sky and of course our new big screen TV. I have all of the lists kept in one journal. I take it out only on Thanksgiving. As everyone proclaims their blessings one after another, I jot each one down. Alongside the item, I have now started the tradition of listing the corresponding family members name. It certainly shortens our long drive up to the cottage!
I encourage you and your family to start making lists in a specially designated journal. It will become a family heirloom. It's so much fun to look back and read. It becomes a great way to track milestones's over the years, because inevitably someone is grateful for something specific to that year like my marvelous surprise birthday party!
Ask the kids to join in, the important thing is to get started. I would love to hear what they come up with!
So..... what are you grateful for?
Expect the Unexpected. Exploring what it means to be a gutsy catholic, writer, entrepreneur, mom and wife. Discovering God's Will one day at a time! Invoking the Holy Spirit,every step of the way....
No comments:
Post a Comment