Translate

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Set Spiritual Goals: Big or Small

So, have you set your
New Year's Resolutions yet?

Have you set goals?

Looking back on last year, what have you learned?


What have you resolved to do?

When setting goals,
 don't forget your spiritual life.

 Often I hear people saying:

" I am not religious, I am spiritual."

and I can't help but wonder,

"Exactly what does that mean?"

"What you think I am not spiritual?"


I keep on telling anyone that will listen, that I didn't begin this way... I didn't begin my life, striving to go to daily mass, reading books by saints, reading the Bible and praying the rosary....

Continually staring down my sinfulness has probably been one of the most difficult but rewarding habits I have been working on....

Remember, having a spirituality rooted in the Catholic tradition is exciting and adventurous. There are things you can do to grow spiritually....

When you are making your resolutions for this year in your wellness wheel in the areas of health, fitness, travel, finances, academics, home renovations, entertainment, sports, hobbies and getting to know more friends....

Don't forget the spiritual realm.

Don't forget to make resolutions, to take specific actions in order to get closer to God. If I were to meet you at a local mall and ask you these questions,

"So, exactly where is God in your life?"

or

"What are you doing for God this year?"

What would you say? If I were to ask you,

"Are you any closer to God ....
 this year than last year?"

What would you say?
Better yet, if I were to ask you;

"Have you talked to your friends, professional associates and family about the greatest secret on earth?" or "Where are you on your spiritual journey?"

What would you say?

Remember, getting closer to God takes both effort risk and time.

When I look back on the last twenty five years, reflecting on my spiritual journey, I can see that God has worked through both people, events, books, scripture, the sacraments and my direct attempts to get closer to Him.


I have pulled together a list of things that you might consider doing in order to make an active attempt to get closer to God. In itemizing these things, I hope to plant some seeds, to get you thinking about a specific spiritual commitment you might make this year....

1.   Start attending mass more than one day a week.
2.   Read books written by saints.
3.   Go on retreats
4.   Attend Catholic summer conferences
5.   Do a consecration to Our Lady
6.   Become a Lector at your local parish
7.   Start praying the rosary or learn about it
8.   Complete the Life in the Spirit Seminar
9.   Start Mother's Group, Girls Club or Youth Group
10. Volunteer at St. Francis Table or another FAITH based charity
11. Commit to monthly Sacrament of Reconciliation
12. Join a Prayer Group
13. Learn about different movements in the Church
14. Start Rosary Club or Saints Club at a local school.
15. Get a spiritual director
16. Learn about the Divine Mercy Chaplet
17. Teach confirmation and communion classes
18. Write a spiritual journal
19. Make a commitment to Eucharistic Adoration
20. Read more books by saints.
21. Make new friends
22. Stop reading horoscopes, New Age Books and doing yoga.
23. Renew your consecration to Our Lady
24. Get baptized in the Holy Spirit (Charismatic Renewal)
25. Start doing novenas
26. Write a spiritual journal or letters to Jesus
27. Start responding to promptings of the Holy Spirit
28. Start praying for the Holy Souls in Purgatory
29. Start ordering masses for the living and deceased
30. Start praying for enemies.
31. Start praying for friends, family members
32. Start praying the prayer to St. Michael & Holy Spirit
33. Start 'offering up" sacrifices for specific intentions
34. Take a Bible study course
35. Start going to Stations of the Cross
36. Start writing letters to bishops, principals, and the Pope
37. Invite quasi strangers to events including Mother's Group
38. Recommit to morning and evening prayers
39. Do an Examination of Conscience
40. Learn about the Corporal and Spiritual Acts of Mercy
41. Invite a priest or a nun over for dinner
42. Start tithing
43. Stop the "too much" in your life; too much drinking, shopping, working, exercising, eating, thinking...

Now, please remember you cannot do all of these things all at the same time, in the same year. Choose one thing, maybe two and commit to them, as you would anything.

The point I am tying to make here is the Good Lord wants us to have a lively spiritual life. God wants YOU to make an effort, stretch yourself and make some changes, take some risks.

Think about all of your other friendships.

Think about all the different periods of growth and change in your life, they required effort on your part.

Life with Jesus Christ is NO different. He wants a visit, a conversation with you. Regularly.

I have always admired the Jehovah Witness folks who make an effort, the Mormons the make an effort, the folks at the Queensway Cathedral they make an effort.

Many Catholics are minimalists in their Faith life.They make some effort, but then pat themselves on the back for being better than their neighbour and give up their spiritual practises. Or, all to often, they say they don’t need to go to church, because they can pray to Jesus at the cottage or by the lake. But from what I have seen, I don’t see much praying going on at cottages, or at lakes for that matter – except for my mother that is. But just for the record, she goes to church too!

I am writing you this note because I want to encourage you to make a little more effort this year. Then watch what He does to BLESS your little bit of effort.

We very much NEED Catholics with integrity who are living their faith authentically, who are hardworking and making an effort.

I am not sure if you have noticed but the world is full of problems and we need fortified, high spirited Catholics to go out their and DO SOMETHING. There is no way you can do it if you spend all of your time in front of the television, partying it up, sitting in front of your computer, or shopping, cleaning, working too much or obsessively playing a sport. Not that there is anything wrong with some of those things, but don't forget your Faith and your responsibility towards your Creator.

We need Catholics making a Catholic difference in the world. I am calling YOU to be a part of that difference, but you will need to fortify yourself with prayer and a community of believers.

I believe in YOU!

Remember, in the same 25 years, I have delivered corporate seminars in Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii. I have travelled on business across Canada, the United States. I have gone on holidays with my children to Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Banff, Tofino, Calgary, Edmonton, New York City, Boston, Stuebenville, Findlay, Ottawa, Martha's Vineyard....

I have moved three times, run a business, volunteered -- I haven't been sitting in a monastery every single moment of my life and praying. For the most part, I am a very normal mom running around hockey arenas, baseball diamonds, dance studios and scrapbooking events!

So, please in 2011, take my hand, and let's plan to do something specifically for Him!

You will be blown away by the places He takes you!

3 comments:

Marcy K. said...

Absolutely fantastic article. That is what I need to do, put more effort into it (aka: not sleep late :)

Amy said...

Excellent article. I love your list. Dorothy, you are like a supernatural, catholic vitamin b shot. You can discern from your writing that you are a woman of prayer.

Blog Admin said...

Thank you Marcy.... Thank you Amy.... I know time is precious... I really appreciate time time you took to read it... Your comments are a blessing, grace and definite source of encouragement...

Post a Comment

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!
Listen at ANY time!