Gearing up for my first Christmas without my mom is heart wrenching. I have attended both a grief support group, and yesterday a session on, "Coping with Grief During the Holidays."
Do you know what I have found REALLY strange?
In all of these sessions, the facilitators DID NOT mention God. Can you imagine, trying to navigate the reality of DEATH without FAITH?
Facilitators talked about a coping TOOL box; going for a walks, writing letters, making scrapbooks, hosting special memory sharing parties or doing yoga etc., as ways of coping. While all of these things can be good, in of themselves, I know it's taking a lot more than THAT, for me to acquire a supernatural confidence that I will, despite it all be able to celebrate Christmas, in spite of my mother's passing.
It seems to me, that in this day and age, everyone is AFRAID to talk openly about their FAITH, in fear of OFFENDING someone. Can you imagine that religious folks have now been put in a position, to be AFRAID to publicly talk about the very thing that is at the very CORE of their essence?
In an age, culture, and media environment, where everyone is so shamelessly open about everything, including their struggles with addictions, hoarding, same sex attractions, their issues in marriages, their divorces, their strategies in raising children, their financial struggles. For goodness sake, people are showcasing their entire lives, with details, that in my mind, should be private, not on national television.
Has anyone considered that perhaps I am offended by their behavior?
Trying to find meaning in death, trying to suffer through the pain and agony of loosing a loved one without acknowledging and calling on Our Creator, really is insane, don't you think?
At one point in yesterdays session, I just could not bear it any more, and I said, "It might be an idea to turn to whatever Faith tradition we are rooted in, looking for help. I am confident that the Faith that we were born into, has some tools that would give us supernatural strength for this journey."
I think everyone was stunned. I hate the word journey, but I felt compelled to use it to try to somehow fit in. We have done it folks, we have secularized death. Quite frankly, I think that is insane.
Today, more than ever, I am grateful for my mother's sacrifices, tears, prayers and determination to do all that she could to pass down the Catholic Faith. It is heartbreaking to think of all the millions of women who have forgotten that their primary duty is to do exactly that.
Thank you mom, for your prayers.
I ask all of you for your prayers during this Christmas season, because intercessory prayers are something I rely on....
Consider reading this beautiful post here about a divine mission.
Expect the Unexpected. Exploring what it means to be a gutsy catholic, writer, entrepreneur, mom and wife. Discovering God's Will one day at a time! Invoking the Holy Spirit,every step of the way....

No comments:
Post a Comment