Translate

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Awarding Winning Mom Moment

Being a mom, for the most part, can be a series of Mundane Moments. Cooking, cleaning, driving, potty training, rocking children to sleep, reading stories, night time feedings, changing diapers, confiscating cell phones, putting children in the corner, getting them to mass, disciplining, nagging them to get their home work done or rooms cleaned; encouraging them to develop their God given potential, to pray, grounding them, doing laundry, sweeping, enforcing curfews -- each of those things individually can take their toll.

Rarely, do we get recognition in the traditional sense. You know, the kind you get at 'work' - bonus cheques, certificates of achievement, team meetings, travel perks, promotions, or exquisite lunches in the finest restaurants.

I remember, when I left the the workforce for a time, to be a full time stay at home mom  -- I did, at times look back on the consulting assignments, speaking engagements, international travel, the five star hotels, all of the perks; sometimes thinking,

"Surely, I could be using my time in a more important way. I have so many gifts, so many talents, why am I staying home again?  Someone, please remind me!"

I was deeply conflicted and utterly satisfied at exactly the same time. I experienced what some psychologists called, double feel. Feeling two things at exactly the same time! While some of the mothering moments were not particularly gratifying, like trying to get a new born to latch, or a toddler to leave the park...

I could NOT, for the life of me imagine, surrendering those tasks to anyone else! I was loving it too much!

I just couldn't. It was not in my genetic make-up.

All the forces in heaven and on earth, could not convince me to jump on a plane to do business in another city and leave the care of my children to someone else. 

I just could NOT do that.

I did miss the workforce, I did miss the recognition, 
I missed the money. But the love for my children and my work with them and through them was transforming me to somebody completely different. The person I was, was no longer, the adventure, mesmerizing. And again, I loved it.

I couldn't understand exactly why l loved it, but I knew with all of my being, that that's why I existed.

I remember very vividly one day, picking Cheerios up off the floor, thinking, 

"Has my life come down to this? Picking up Cheerios?"

I had never worked harder in my life, with so little recognition, but it was the most rewarding thing I had ever done, precisely because it was hidden work.

Being an inspirational speaker & trainer, I often got tons of recognition, it was now for the most part gone. 

While a child's smile, a ballet concert, a delightful comment, a cooing baby or a glorious hug can replenish moms during the toddler and yes, even elementary years, there comes a time, where we all say to ourselves,

"Surely, there has to be more to life than THIS!"

Mothering teens or a two year old, can at times, be particularly exhausting. 

So, I like to capture the moments that I feel like an 

                            Award Winning Mom.

My daughter who is  now a university student and part time cashier, told a story the other day that made my heart soar.

"Mom, this guy today, bought about 20 different things out of the freezer section today. I said to him, 

'What are these? They must be good, since you are buying so many of them?' 

"Mom, the man was astonished, 

He replied,

 'They are TV dinners! Surely your mom must give those to you from time to time, when she doesn't feel like cooking!'

"No, we always have a home cooked meal. We might order a pizza once in awhile, but no. I have never had a TV dinner. My mom cooks dinner every night."

Well, apparently the man was flabbergasted, he shook his head. Apparently, he couldn't believe his ears.

My teenage daughter looked at me and said,

"Mom you are amazing! You have done such a great job with dinner!"

Just when I thought nobody noticed, I concluded that,

"Yes, this is an Award Ward winning moment."

In the silence of my heart, turned my heart to Our Lady and thanked God for giving me the grace and the courage to follow the promptings in my own heart! I thanked God for the privilege of taking the time I did to raise my children!

Just for the record, please do remember, the work you are doing is tremendously valuable in more ways than one.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!
Listen at ANY time!