Translate

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Are you a Minimalist or Cluster Junkie?

I have been thinking a lot about clutter recently.

And, honestly, I think it's gotten a little bit of a bad wrap.

My momma always said that it was a part of a woman's role to turn a house into a home; to beautify it, to make it feel cozy and uniquely her own. 

In my mind, clusters of stuff do exactly that. 





I know that minimalism is all the rage these days. 

Whenever I go into a house that has no evidence that real 

living human beings actually live and do things in it,



I do get a bit uncomfortable. 


In certain homes I feel like I am in a hotel lobby, a 

museum, or maybe a Martha Steward concoction. 



It doesn't feel like a home.


I love little clusters of stuff - including books in every room. 


I cannot imagine a room without a book in it.

I love little interesting things here and there.

How could I resist this little statue? Do you 

you see the one in the top right hand corner?


Do you notice the license plate? 








Are you a minimalist or a cluster junkie, like me?

I wax and wane in my convictions in this area. I wrote a blog post once called My Relationship with Stuff. I do think having too much of something can signal a vice or two. When I see someone on a reality show bragging about their 400 piece Barbie collection, I do wince. I do believe that there is such a thing as too much. I remember someone once telling me that their dining room table (or set cost) them $35,000. 

I could not help but wonder if there was something morally wrong with spending that much. 

I know that Flylady flogs the idea of surrounding yourself with stuff that you LOVE - part of me agrees with that, but 

What if what you love costs $35,000?

 or

What if your seven year old son, shopped all day with his dad for a gift for you, one that he delighted in? Let's pretend you didn't like it at all - would you get rid of it, because you did not love it?

I pray not.  

I know I think way too much, but please do tell,

Are you a minimalist or cluster junkie like me?

Here is a cluster of stuff on my kitchen counter!



And finally a great article from Country Living on 

14 Things That Make a House a Home

My momma said that above each and every doorway in a Catholic home, there should be a small crucifix or at very least a small tasteful religious icon to help family members lift their hearts to a supernatural realm. I have to admit, I do have clusters of religious icons spread throughout my home!

How about you?

Are you a minimalist or cluster junkie like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!
Listen at ANY time!