Translate

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Is Halloween dangerous? What did the Vatican say?

Last night I was looking through my newsfeed on Facebook and an article caught my eye. It was in the Daily Mail  and it was called, Pope slams Halloween 

Like any Catholic mother would, I read it, but for some reason I was suspect of it. I must admit, I have always had somewhat of an aversion to Halloween. Even as a child, I was was extremely uncomfortable with the Halloween celebrations. I did not like that night.

This morning, I wanted some clarification of the UK, piece and stumbled upon yet another piece "Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian." I kept searching for the truth,

 "What did the Vatican say?" 

Here is an article I wrote for the Catholic Register, I was interviewed on the Drew Mariani show on the very topic. The article takes a candid look at Halloween and how parents might view it. 

I would love to hear what you think of it. 
 CLICK HERE to read it.  

Personally, I  do not understand why  families might put gruesome skeletons on their front lawns, or dress their kids up in very scary costumes. 


A family in our neighborhood, used to go all out on Halloween. They placed put a coffin, a (real guillotine) and life sized vampires, spectacular lighting and sound effects blaring from their front lawn. At night time, it used to scare the daylights out of me. I did my best to avoid it, but sometimes I could not. It was on the single street that gives us access to our subdivision.

I was flabbergasted by moms, who would force their petrified screaming children, to knock on the door on Halloween night. The house, on that night, felt evil. The homeowner would take great pride in working on the display for a long time before Halloween night.

I used to actually carry a bottle of Holy Water, and as I walked by the house, I would discreetly sprinkle Holy Water on the lawn. (I know, I am crazy). I am so very grateful, that the household, not longer does this display! I am not sure why they stopped, but I am so relieved.

Anyway, back to the media and it's suggestions that the Vatican slammed Halloween this year....    I started to turn to reliable Catholic sources and here is what I found;

Catholic Culture Clarification 

Pope Condemning Halloween is a HOAX


What is your take? How do you celebrate Halloween, or do you? As always, I love hearing from you!

Two other  great articles,
Is Halloween Essentially Evil?  both by Taylor Marshall
Top Ten Ways to Have a Catholic Halloween






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!
Listen at ANY time!