Translate

Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Dear Jesus Prayer


Not too long ago, I was watching an evangelical program on television, a married couple who had restored their marriage after five years of being divorced, was being interviewed. They shared their story. While I really enjoyed it, there was something that the woman (or the wife) said that really, really bugged me!

Basically, their marriage had fallen apart because she had an affair (or two), and she didn't have any remorse at the time and was caught repeatedly lying. When she was asked about her Faith journey she said..

"I was raised a Catholic, and as Catholics we are not taught that Jesus Christ wants to have a PERSONAL relationship with us. It wasn't until I started having a personal relationship with Jesus (as taught to her by evangelicals) that I started to realize that Jesus cared about me and what I did and thought PERSONALLY"

My initial response to her was good old fashioned anger. I really get tired of all the Catholic bashing that seems to pervade the media these days. Immediately after I wrestled my anger, a compelling question popped into my head. While this woman is blaming the Catholic Church for not teaching her about having a personal relationship with Jesus,

I wondered, "Why is she not blaming her PARENTS? After all, WHO is the Catholic Church if not its individual members?" Whose duty was it, to teach her about having a personal relationship with Jesus?

More than one Pope has stated that PARENTS are the primary educators of their children, and it is THEIR duty to pass down the precepts of the Faith. Our Faith has been passed down to us, by a line of ancestry, and it is our Sacred Duty to make sure the "torch" gets passed down from one generation to the next.

After I had mulled all of that over in my mind, I wondered, "Do MY CHILDREN know that Jesus wants to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? Are they having a personal relationship with Him?

What is a personal relationship with Jesus anyway?

Have you thought about that? Do you have a PERSONAL relationship with Jesus? Do your children know that Jesus loves each of them individually and personally and that He has a special plan for their lives?

Well, one day, on the way to school, in the van, where most profound conversations begin, I asked the kids, a couple of pointed questions. It was a very lively drive to school!!! I will spare you all of the details, but I would like to challenge each and every one of you to THINK about these two questions: Do I have a personal relationship with Jesus? Have I taught my children how to have a personal relationship with Him?

I began to wonder how children might view Jesus in their minds eye. Some children might understand Jesus as being someone who performed miracles long ago, and that His power remains "in history" and that He has no relevance in their day to day lives right now. It's like learning about Marco Polo, or some other great historical figure. Well, this is the furthest thing from the Truth and it is OUR duty, as mothers, to make sure our children understand this. Jesus is alive today, and He loves each of us very much and he wants to have a personal relationship with each of us individually. He wants to get involved in each of our lives.

Now the question is HOW do we do THAT? How do we establish our selves or our children in a personal relationship with Jesus? What characterizes a personal relationship?
In speaking to my children, I asked them to look at relationships they had with their friends and family. What do you DO in relationships?

We talk to one and other.
Jesus wants us to talk to Him. (Prayer)

We hang out.
Jesus want to hang out with YOU! (Eucharistic Adoration)

We ask each other advice.
Jesus wants us to turn to Him for advice

We say "sorry" when needed.
Jesus wants us to say sorry to Him (Confession)

We have meals together.
Jesus wants us to go to the divine banquet. (Mass)

We share stories.
Jesus wants to hear our stories & tell us stories (Bible)

We exchange gifts.
Jesus us to use our talents to build up the kingdom (Volunteer)

We DO special favours for our friends.
Jesus is asking us to make sacrifices.

We remember birthdays & anniversaries.
Jesus wants us to celebrate Feast Days etc.

We are nice to their families and friends.
Jesus wants us to love His Mother & Saints.

We fight.
Jesus wants us to bring all of our beefs and complaints to Him in prayer.

We kiss and make up.
Jesus wants us to kiss a crucifix or holy card when called.

We go to each others houses.
Jesus wants to be visited at His house. (Church).

We listen to each other.
Jesus wants you to stop talking and listen to Him.

We thank each other.
Jesus wants you to thank God daily for all your blessings.

We learn from each other.
Jesus wants you to learn from Him. (Study His Word)

We have FUN together!
Jesus wants to have FUN with you. Invite Him to a party!

We listen and OBEY our best friends.
Jesus wants you to trust in Him and obey Him.

We say "I love you."
Jesus loves YOU. Have you told him you love Him?

We help one and other.
Jesus has helped you.
Are you doing something to help Him?

We greet one and other.
Jesus wants to hear you say "Good Morning & Good Night"

We introduce friends to each other.
Have you introduced your friends to Jesus?

We protect their reputation.
Jesus wants you to protect and build up the Church.

We tell the TRUTH
Jesus wants you to pour the truth out about everything to Him.

We fight or take risks for each other.
Jesus wants you to fight for Him.

Our very closest family members and friends, often have a very special place in our hearts. Throughout the day, our thoughts turn to them. JESUS wants to be SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR HEARTS

Have you invited Jesus into your heart?
Will you pray this prayer with your heart?

Dear Jesus,
I come before you, as I am.
I have done my best to serve You and to know You.
I am fully aware that at times I have disappointed you.
Lord Jesus, I am sorry for my sins.
I acknowledge you as the Son of the Living God.
I want to get closer to You Jesus.
Please help me.
Show me what to do.
Jesus, I accept You as my Lord and my God.
Everything in my heart yearns to do Your Will.
In every situation and every moment,
Please, I beg you Jesus make God's Will clear to me.
Anoint me with the courage, fortitude and perseverance,
To follow God's Will.
Jesus, I accept You as my Lord and My God.
I invite You into my heart.
Jesus, I invite You into every area of my life.
Lord Jesus. I am receiving You as my personal Saviour.
Fill me with Your Holy Spirit.
Heal and strengthen me.
Surround me with all of your angels and saints.
Mother Mary, cover me with your love and protect me from evil.
Jesus I love YOU !!!
Jesus I praise YOU !!!
Jesus I trust in YOU !!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There IS a lot of ignorance about the Catholic Faith among cradle Catholics. I was one of them, and when I finally learned about the Catholic Faith, it was as though I was an actual convert to Catholicism. While parents are supposed to teach their children about their faith, I think the scandal given by many priests in their personal implementations of the Second Vatican Council, their personal interpretations of the Catholic Faith, and the confusion this has generated among the parents is more to blame. I think that papal bull put out to encourage the parents to take up the childrens Catholic education entirely on their own (and not trust to the hierarchy of the church) might have had its origin in the awareness of how bad things were going in the hierarchy, but in the end it is not the solution. We NEED good priests, who are allowed to teach the faith without the false fear of offending protestants.

Blog Admin said...

Great comments! Let's do the best we can to catechize those around us! Can you imagine if we all did that? What a world it would be!

Patterson's Progeny said...

Super awesome article! I am going to go through all these points with each of my six children.

Dorothy said...

Not sure when your comment was posted Paterson's progeny.... but THANK YOU for taking the time to read it... and thanks for taking the time to comment! I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

Post a Comment

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!

Dorothy Pilarski on the Radio!
Listen at ANY time!